Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Balsam Professional & Balsam Enterprise
On 2011-04-24 Martin wrote:
Lørdag den 23. april 2011 19:41:40 skrev Jim Henderson:
On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 12:34:36 +0200, Kim Leyendecker wrote:
By the way, openSUSE is more an upstream project. With the start
of SUSE Studio we (and Novell) allowed the vast majority to easy
clone openSUSE´s and Novell´s techonology. Remember: I came to
the openSUSE project as I create my own openSUSE-clone and felt
like " I have to give back something as a "thank you"".

That's an interesting point, Kim. Thinking back on the strategy
discussions, one of the proposed strategies was that openSUSE
become a base for derivatives.

But it was not a popular proposal by any means.

Who wants to contribute to a piece of junk that is only intended to
be diamond in the rough for others to polish and take advantage of.

Hmmm, yes, that's why Debian is so insignificant ;-)

As others have said, be a bit more openminded. openSLX wants to
contribute, actually, they do by paying a couple of active community
members. So they put in work. No-one has the right to slam that imho.

And the whole idea builds on the assumption that derivative makers
will contribute back - which is highly doubtful. And we're already
seing that. Derivative makers are making a lot of effort to
differentiate from openSUSE, rather than help making openSUSE
better.