Re: [opensuse-project] zypper slow
On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 07:05:48PM +1000, Chris Jones wrote:
I have a genuine question for the openSUSE folk.
I recently switched from Red Hat to openSUSE 11.4. In a nutshell, I am very
happy with the resulting system that I have running with the 2.6.37 Linux
kernel. But I just can't understand one thing. What makes zypper so god damn
slow when it comes to package management and installation of packages?

In comparison to Red Hat's yum and Debian's apt, zypper is shockingly slow
at anything it does. I'm curious as to why this is and why it can't be
developed to match the speed of yum and apt.

It's much faster than yum on my machine. Where exactly is it slow?

If you see some (small) delay when it checks the repositories, this
is because zypper's default is to check if the repository metadata
is up-to-date. You can change the behaviour with 'zypper mr -R'.

If you experience long delays where it doesn't do anything, you're
probably behind a router that provides a bad DNS service. Glibc does
IPv4 and IPv6 DNS lookups in parallel, but waits until it received
both responses. Some broken DNS servers don't send a IPv6 answer at
all, so glibc will wait until it runs into a timeout.
There's no good solution to this problem, but you can test if this
is the case by manually changing the DNS server in /etc/resolv.conf
to some working server, e.g. google's DNS server on 8.8.8.8

Cheers,
Michael.

--
Michael Schroeder mls@xxxxxxx