Re: [opensuse-project] Balsam Professional & Balsam Enterprise
Am 20.04.2011 22:10, schrieb Sebastian Kügler:
Jos is actually a friend of mine, when he's not hanging out in Brazil, he
lives about an hour by train from here =)

We actually are working together really well, just not on every level, and
that is fine. With more companies than Novell, Attachmate alone getting
involved in openSUSE (which is a good thing, as it grows the community and
makes it more stable also on a corporate level), there need to be clear
boundaries between direct contributions. We contribute a lot on the code
level, my colleague Rupert is on the opensuse board, and our code output ends
up directly upstream, either inside upstream repos such as KDE's git, or the
OBS (most recently in KDE:Active). My colleague Sascha is also quite active on
the news team, you probably know him:)

I personally prefer sitting down and getting the job done, and mostly blog
about it. I don't write much to opensuse-project, as you know.

Yeah, I know Sascha, of course. A nice guy.

So, what you´re writting about Attachmate and Novell and so on, there are my hopes that it would be catch up into the openSUSE foundation.
> Your product looks really interesting and "Balsam Enterprise" is a big
> chance for SLE to take over the market leadership (Look at Red Hat. RHEL
> is so successfull because there two clones and they allow you to test
> RHEL till whenever you want... A free SLE-clone would make SLE more open
> and of course, more successfully, believe me.)
I think so, too. There's a distinct hole in the market between service levels
and pricing of SLES, and openSUSE itself. Very recently, Novell has removed
some contractual hurdles, and made it possible for us to offer something like
Balsam Enterprise, modeled after how CentOS relates to RedHat, or put simply,
an LTS for openSUSE outside the enterprise market. The customer gets more
independence and better choice, more of the market is covered. That's a win
for openSUSE as base technology and community, as you say.

But the whole story needs following:

* Complete rebranding of the product
* free updates
* free support by the SLE-clone community

If these things don´t happen really, it´s just a waste of time, and you´d better join the openSUSE community fulltime.

thanks

openSUSE Ambassador / openSUSE Wiki Team DE
HAVE A LOT OF FUN!
http://www.opensuse.org | http://www.suse.de
Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.