Re: [opensuse-project] iChain or iPain?
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 00:42:32 +0200
On 2011-04-20 17:38:30 (-0400), Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Pascal Bleser
On 2011-04-18 11:02:49 (+0200), Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
The build service team has been developing a completely new proxy server
that
uses ldap directly to get rid of the broken ichain proxy. The systems is
ready
but we would have loved to give it some more testing and had hoped that
ichain
would be with us a few more days...
[...]
But it is yet another example of something being developed as an
in-breed solution in a couple of offices at Maxtorgraben, 5 in
N├╝rnberg.
Pascal, I suspect this is one time where you got it wrong. Or at
least not as "right" as you think.

No doubt that happens :)

=============== details with timeline
The iChain/iPain problem only became critical a month or so ago.

Sort of. We've been plagued by hiccups for quite some time.
But it's not really the point :)

Looking back at emails on opensuse-buildservice, Mar. 26 is when I see
the first serious complaints.

It got a lot worse by then, that's for sure.
And iChain is an EOL product.

Then on Apr 5, the OBS team meeting minutes have:
===
* iChain remains to block connections, we work parallel on
- fixing the issue
- workarounding the issue for api.o.o
- getting a long term solution
===
Again, that was sent to opensuse-buildservice,
I don't know if those meetings are open, but it says the following
were present: mls, saschpe, coolo, adrian
So an interested party knew at that point that discussions were
ongoing and who the likely players were. They even had an email they
could reply to if they wanted to get involved or find out more
details.
[...]

Again, it isn't about this specific item.
Seems I still fail to get my point across, lemme try again :)

And, of course, I might be wrong. Or just missed the many
announcements and posts about stuff (OBS, connect, openfate).

My point is this: if you want contributors, then ask for
contributors from the start, and not when everything important
has been set into stone already.

Complaining that there isn't enough people who contribute to
projects when you fail at making it also 'their' project, and not
just 'your' project, is also by opening it up early enough.

And I don't see that happening. As said, that might just be me
not seeing that communication. But is it ?

cheers
--
-o) Pascal Bleser
/\\ http://opensuse.org -- we haz green