Re: [opensuse-project] iChain or iPain?
  • From: Stephen Shaw <sshaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 13:13:29 -0600
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 12:02, Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2011-04-18 11:02:49 (+0200), Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
The build service team has been developing a completely new proxy server that
uses ldap directly to get rid of the broken ichain proxy. The systems is
ready
but we would have loved to give it some more testing and had hoped that
ichain
would be with us a few more days...

On a side note ...

Let me first state this, just to try to avoid being
misunderstood: thanks a lot to the OBS team at Novell to come up
with a solution [1].

[1] which is most probably this, looks cool:
https://gitorious.org/opensuse/apache-mod_auth_memcookie

But it is yet another example of something being developed as an
in-breed solution in a couple of offices at Maxtorgraben, 5 in
Nürnberg.

<SNIP>

cheers
--
 -o) Pascal Bleser

I don't have a problem with how this was handled. I don't think it
came as a surprise to anyone that they were switching. Where this was
something that was impacting a mission critical service opening it up
to the community would have only pushed the fix off. I mean
discussions on them. It takes us weeks if not months to argue over
the topic to only have everyone get upset and walk away from it. And
heck, even on the occasion that we actually arrive at a decision,
close the topic, effectively implement it we still have people rehash
it over and over again.

So, the long and short of my rant. If getting OBS back to a stable
state in a matter of days/couple weeks meant cutting out the weeks of
arguing over what implementation would in theory be better, then I'll
take the executed decision any day (when talking about getting a
mission critical service back up and running correctly).

Just as a side note... How many community people currently contribute
to the development/design of OBS? I'd say with exception they are the
only ones in any real position to give advise here.

Cheers,
Stephen

PS. Just food for thought here.