Re: [opensuse-project] iChain or iPain?
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 20:02:04 +0200
On 2011-04-18 11:02:49 (+0200), Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
The build service team has been developing a completely new proxy server that
uses ldap directly to get rid of the broken ichain proxy. The systems is
ready
but we would have loved to give it some more testing and had hoped that
ichain
would be with us a few more days...

On a side note ...

Let me first state this, just to try to avoid being
misunderstood: thanks a lot to the OBS team at Novell to come up
with a solution [1].

[1] which is most probably this, looks cool:
https://gitorious.org/opensuse/apache-mod_auth_memcookie

But it is yet another example of something being developed as an
in-breed solution in a couple of offices at Maxtorgraben, 5 in
N├╝rnberg.

If we are one community, one (huge) team, why aren't things like
these discussed openly on one of our way-too-many mailing-lists?

Why don't people try to profit from the experience and knowledge
of other members of our community ? Maybe someone has extensive
experience with such requirements (it's SSO, basically) and can
provide good information or even time and code.

It's probably not so much of a problem with this particular
issue, as most of us will never have access to the LDAP where
all our accounts are stored, but the same happens with e.g.
architectural brainstorming and decisions for the OBS itself.

And yes, I'm as guilty of making the same mistakes over and over
again, like so many of us, and I'm *not* trying to blame anyone,
it's not personal, just a general comment which, hopefully, will
make us all think about doing stuff in the wide open at the
earliest stages, not when everything is decided already.
One cannot expect people to contribute when all the
architectural decisions, all the thinking about how to do
something has taken place already.

cheers
--
-o) Pascal Bleser