Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Come and help!
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 20:30:22 +0200
Jim Henderson wrote:

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 20:14:34 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

Jim Henderson wrote:

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 19:28:59 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

Then they clearly *don't* want help.

If I want help, but I flatly refuse to use the communication means
by which help is available, I don't really need it.

They do, but they want *convenient* help.

IMO, that is incredibly arrogant. I would like help to be provided
in my native language, but when that's not available, I accept that I
have to use a foreign language to get help. I don't see why the
forum users cannot work like that too.

[snip]

BTW many of the users on OSF do actually get help in their native
languages - one of the things we do if someone's willing to help set
it up and manage it in a foreign language is to create forums for
those groups who want them. We currently offer in Hungarian,
Japanese, Russian, French, English, German, Dutch, Greek, and
Portuguese.

I prefer Danish, can you please arrange for some helpers and a set of
suitable openSUSE fora?

If there's a lower barrier to entry to get help somewhere else, then
that's where they'll go.

Of course, that's how it should be. However, we are (well I am)
specifically talking about the situation where there is no lower
barrier.

I think 50,000 forum users would disagree about the barrier to entry
for getting help in the forums being lower than the mailing lists. ;)

Yeah well, you're off on the wrong tangent again.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.5°C)