[opensuse-project] Re: Come and help!
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 18:22:28 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 20:14:34 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

Jim Henderson wrote:

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 19:28:59 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

Then they clearly *don't* want help.

If I want help, but I flatly refuse to use the communication means by
which help is available, I don't really need it.

They do, but they want *convenient* help.

IMO, that is incredibly arrogant. I would like help to be provided in
my native language, but when that's not available, I accept that I have
to use a foreign language to get help. I don't see why the forum users
cannot work like that too.

Well, good luck with that. :) Ironically, we often have posts in the
forums from a subset of users who think that many of the developers are
arrogant for not participating in the venue where most of the users
participate. (And when I see those, I tend to point out that developers'
focus is on development rather than support, and that I personally don't
have a problem with developers not providing support if they want to
focus on development tasks - and they shouldn't either).

BTW many of the users on OSF do actually get help in their native
languages - one of the things we do if someone's willing to help set it
up and manage it in a foreign language is to create forums for those
groups who want them. We currently offer in Hungarian, Japanese,
Russian, French, English, German, Dutch, Greek, and Portuguese. We also
have links to a few other independent forums where there's a language
presence established (such as linuxclub.de for additional support for
those who prefer German).

If there's a lower barrier to entry to get help somewhere else, then
that's where they'll go.

Of course, that's how it should be. However, we are (well I am)
specifically talking about the situation where there is no lower
barrier.

I think 50,000 forum users would disagree about the barrier to entry for
getting help in the forums being lower than the mailing lists. ;)

But I'm also talking about the world we live in, not some hypothetical
situation where there isn't a lower barrier. Remove our forums from the
equation, and I'm sure plenty of the users will decide that since Ubuntu
or Fedora cater to what they want in terms of a community, they'll leave
us for them. Differentiating ourselves by being more difficult to work
with than other distros doesn't help grow the community.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson