[opensuse-project] Re: Come and help!
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 14:02:10 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 09:08:53 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

Perhaps suggest they take such questions to where they will be heard?
There are lots of occasions where an opensuse list is not the right
place to pursue a particular topic, and people take it directly to the
<project>-list. It seems quite reasonable to suggest to a forum-user
that 'you better ask that question' over on 'list77' (which has the
right people listening).

Users don't want to have to figure out whether to use a forum, a mailing
list, IRC, or some other venue to ask questions. The openSUSE Forums are
an official way for them to ask for assistance, and that's where many
users do in fact go.

While we do occasionally see people redirected to other venues to get
faster help (IRC is a fairly common suggestion, for example, for those
who have an immediate 'I need to fix this NOW' kind of problems), sending
users from one official venue to another is both inefficient for the user
and serves to highlight how fragmented the openSUSE community really is.

Not only that, but I'm sure that those who use the mailing lists really
wouldn't want the 50,000+ people who are subscribed to the forums to
start posting all of their questions to the mailing lists. These mailing
lists would then become pretty much completely unusable. Mailing lists
tend to be suitable for relatively small groups, but if you were suddenly
receiving several thousand e-mails a day, I'm sure you would be quite
unhappy about it.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson