Re: [opensuse-project] AN OPEN PROPOSAL ON openSUSE VERSION NUMBERING
  • From: Alberto Passalacqua <albert.passalacqua@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 21:20:36 -0500
2011/4/11 Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>:

I have openSUSE on several servers.  I never even consider upgrading
them in the first 2 months of a release, so I certainly understand the
difference between the day zero release and a day 60 release +
updates.

All old-time users of any distro know this difference. However I
believe the effort should be oriented in improving the "0-day" release
instead than releasing every two months. In other words, *test* during
the development stage. :-)

Then of course, if someone does an unofficial set of releases of this
type, it is fine. However there are a lot of solutions that make it
much simpler, especially for server use: local patch repo (download
one, use forever), if applicable, AutoYaST, or a pre-built image.

Alberto