Re: [opensuse-project] AN OPEN PROPOSAL ON openSUSE VERSION NUMBERING
On Monday, April 11, 2011 11:18:01 AM Alberto Passalacqua wrote:
2011/4/11 Rajko M. <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
If someone comes with good idea before versions are applied is still good
time, specially that current decision is made between our own identity
and accepting numbering applied by other distros, nothing that really
improves user experience.

How do you consider this proposal realistic? You perfectly know the
difficulties in terms of resources the project has.

Effort is not equal to making a complete new release.
It is at the level of tell me once how to do it and I can do it, with all time
constrains I have right now.

... which is substantial improvement over
current system where installation of released version is followed with
hundreds of MB of download for updates.

It might be for places where connection speed is low. For others it is
really not a big deal, since updates can be installed during the
installation process.

It is download that is slower then DVD, or even better USB stick. I did
installations of this type, and I know that I lost each end every user
attention after some 2 hours. It is simply too long to keep them focused.
School hour is not limited to 45 minutes without reason.

This may not be a problem at home where you have thick download pipe and
hours to do installation and updates, but at friends site shorter is
better. You come with patched DVD and in one hour you are done,
including first steps how to use. No distribution offers this now, and
as they don't have OBS they will need some time to catch up.

Actually we have something that offers this: SUSE Studio, if you
really cannot wait some time to install patches.

Already answered in another email.

Best,
Alberto

--