Re: [opensuse-project] AN OPEN PROPOSAL ON openSUSE VERSION NUMBERING
  • From: Alberto Passalacqua <albert.passalacqua@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 11:18:01 -0500
2011/4/11 Rajko M. <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

If someone comes with good idea before versions are applied is still good
time, specially that current decision is made between our own identity and
accepting numbering applied by other distros, nothing that really improves
user experience.

How do you consider this proposal realistic? You perfectly know the
difficulties in terms of resources the project has.

Making release with software that already has patches and patches are tested
as good is not that much work as stabilizing factory.

For me major improvement is that users downloading media will get one
installation media to download plus modest number of patches that are released
since last version, which is substantial improvement over current system where
installation of released version is followed with hundreds of MB of download
for updates.

It might be for places where connection speed is low. For others it is
really not a big deal, since updates can be installed during the
installation process.

This may not be a problem at home where you have thick download pipe and hours
to do installation and updates, but at friends site shorter is better. You
come with patched DVD and in one hour you are done, including first steps how
to use. No distribution offers this now, and as they don't have OBS they will
need some time to catch up.

Actually we have something that offers this: SUSE Studio, if you
really cannot wait some time to install patches.

Best,
Alberto