Re: [opensuse-project] oSConference: Theme & Program Planning
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 23:54:03 +0200
On 2011-04-08 22:53:02 (+0200), Klaas Freitag <freitag@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2011-04-08 10:23:51 (+1000), Helen South <helen.south@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
[...]
Isn't it a good occasion to present all our current projects and
discuss them with peers, in order to
1) let the community (-> slideshare ;)) know what we're doing
2) collect some ideas, opinions and feedback
?

Bretzn/appstream, connect, Build Service, webpin2, WebYast,
zypp, security, marketing, ambassadors, tumbleweed, evergreen,
studio, maintenance, factory, ... and that's really just off the
top of my head in a couple of seconds.

How about taking more time for those topics, time to present but
also time to discuss, brainstorm, and potentially win active
contributors for those projects.
Ok, good points. I agree. The only issue I see is to get new people
in. If we do the conference too much centric around ourselfes (which
is NOT what you suggest, I know that) no new people will show up and
we end up entertaining ourselfes. Given that our community has grown
already that would'nt be bad actually. And I am convinced that if we
do it smart, we can manage to talk about our backyard and make it
attractive to new enthusiasts. I think that requires some self confidence
but this thread is a sign that we have it. Great.

Fair point.

There are always several objectives, and we all have our opinion
and wishes on what we'd like to see happening at the conference.

We should try to identify those clearly.

What I can see just from these two emails:

1) attract new contributors (what you're referring to as
"newcomers")

2) share expertise and knowledge, make workshops, brainstorm,
which is more of an "inwards" perspective on us, what we do,
and what we want to do (which includes what we suck at,
what's badly missing, cool new ideas, and gather expertise
from the very knowledgeable people in the project)

We can certainly also identify the following point (which is not
the same as 1):

3) trigger collaboration with other projects and distributions

Then, of course, and IMHO probably the most essential point when
meeting in real life:

4) get to know each other, "physically", also known as "around a
couple of beers" :)

Let's not forget about that last point, which is extremely
important, as it communication and collaboration a lot more
effective afterwards. It removes "fears" or hampering "respect".
It is also the most rare of chances, as most of us are living
far away from each other and might only have that one occasion
to meet. And, after all, the kind of project we're part of is at
least as much a people thing than it is a technical thing :)

Going from there, let's try to think of
* how to market/advertise/broadcast the event (1)
* what "sort" of contributors we would like to attract (1)
(and, hence, what topics/workshops to present)
* hot topics (2)
* future topics (2)
* projects we want to collaborate with (3)
* social events (4)

Maybe we should hold these on a wiki page, complete it with more
tasks/domains/ideas, make individual mail threads on the list
for each.

There is something we usually do a lot as (software) engineers,
at least in my experience as a highly qualified one, and which
is completely missing at the conference but also in the project
in general: discuss ideas and share experience.

All too often, ideas and implementations happen either in the
head of a single person or, at best, in an office in N├╝rnberg or
Prague, instead of discussing it on a mailing-list and/or on
IRC.
What I mean is that there are many very, very qualified people
in our community (in many domains), and we don't take profit
from that capacity.

So let's try to do that (amongst many other things) at the
conference on a few topics.

(and the above isn't meant as a blame, I'm guilty of acting that
way too)

Make some tracks around our own projects.
I mean, we had that last year as well, but obviously from another
perspective.

Yes and no. There were some, of course, but almost all of them
were "read-only": someone presents something, then there are a
few minutes for Q&A and then it's done.

While it's certainly interesting, we should have most of those
as more workshop-alike sessions, with an introductory
presentation and then have enough time (or another session
later) to share ideas, experience, etc...

Or, to put it differently: more of a read/write conference than
a read-only one.
Yeah, thats convincing :-)

Theme: "rwxrwxrwx" (read, write and execute for the owner, the
group, and the world ;))

Or "ogu=rwx".

I like that very much. I would support that, even though that needs some
explanation for 'outsiders', but that can be done.

Yes, it can. It's pretty geekish but hey... :)

IMHO it captures our objectives... or... well, the
objectives/wishes I have, at least, I wouldn't want to draw
conclusions from there :)

cheers
--
-o) Pascal Bleser