Re: [opensuse-project] Announcing search.opensuse.org
On 01:53 Fri 25 Mar 2011, Javier Llorente wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your work but I was wondering why you
chose Google instead of adapting an open source search engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_search_engines#Open_source_search_engines

Running our own indexer and search frontend is a ton of work. Pascal and
I had a side discussion before I stared work on this about using Solr
but all of the various applications will need to be taught how to feed
their data to Solr first. Probably a good month of engineering effort to
get everything working.

At my University we used Nutch and the results were pretty bad and a lot
of hand holding needed to happen for URLs that were suboptimal and broke
rules.

If people find search.opensuse.org useful and want to replace it with
something comparable I say go for it.

However, a domain wide analytics solution is more urgently needed. At
this point there is no easy way to see how many people are actually
using search.opensuse.org. It would be really dissapointing to get our
own search engine running and then find it gets 2 hits a day.

Cheers,

Brandon