Re: [opensuse-project] GSoC 2011: Bug reporting tool.
On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 1:29 AM, Christian Boltz <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

on Dienstag, 22. März 2011, Mihnea Dobrescu-Balaur wrote:
What I'd consider more important is a duplicate check - based on
the package (and repo?) and/or on the summary of the bugreport.

I'm not sure how accurate an automated check based on the summary
would be, but I'm thinking about a scenario like this:
 - User wants to report a bug for package Foo
 - the tools shows him a list with short descriptions of the already
reported bugs for the Foo package
 - he _decides_ if it's been already posted or not;

Yes, that basically sounds like a good way.

The problem is that bugzilla does not know about packages, so you'll
need an interesting[tm] method for searching and sorting the results.
(Often the bugreports contain the package name in the summary or a
comment.)

I would also ask the user for a summary of the bug and use it as
additonal search condition (in case a user has chosen a wrong package,
but a good bugreport summary ;-)

Could I automate it more than that? Without AI stuff :).

Probably not. Checking for duplicates is something that requires
/dev/brain. (Some rare exceptions might apply - for example bugreports
with backtraces or symbol codes could have some automation.)

BTW: Regarding the workflow in the bugreporting tool,
https://bugs.kde.org/enter_bug.cgi?format=guided might give you some
inspiration.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/FindRightPackage is quite helpful [...]

Will do some reading, maybe I could also check some process
information (like %CPU, %MEM, TIME etc) ?

Indeed, "uses >95% CPU" and "uses >50% MEM" can be good indicators ;-)
and might also be useful if included in the bugreport (obviously only if
the process is still running).

That said: regarding the assignee, it can only become better than
the current situation in bugzilla where most bugreports initially
go to the (overworked?) screening team and take lots of time until
they reach the developers.

Yes, the plan is to figure who the maintainer is and to use that
info.

That's the easy part: osc maintainer -e -B $project $package
(or use the osc libraries directly) will give you the mail address of
the bugowner/assignee.

Be warned that $package means the source package, which may or may not
be the same as the binary package name (think of packages with
subpackages etc.). The good thing is that the disturl will give you this
information (rpm -q --qf '%{disturl}\n' $packagename).

@Dominique: as long as you have set "gnome-maintainer" as bugowner on
(nearly) all GNOME packages, everything should work as expected.

Oh, and I just see I might have something to celebrate soon ;-)
Bugzilla says I have reported 972 bugs (starting with SUSE Linux
9.2 [2]) - that's not too far from 1000 bugreports. Let's hope I
won't reach the 1000 with 11.4 ;-)

Wow, you really have some bug reporting experience! Maybe we could
keep in touch, in case I have some more questions?

Yes, of course. I'm reading the -project and -factory mailinglist and
some more lists more or less regularly (depending on my available time,
which is usually the limiting factor).
IMHO the best way is to ask on a mailinglist. You can CC me if you have
specific questions, but I'd prefer to have all mails also on public
mailinglists so that others can read them and/or reply if they want.

Sure, it's better on the mailing list.

I've noted all the inputs, on to writing the proposal now :). If you have
any other suggestions, please, don't hesitate to tell them to me.

Thanks, everybody!

Mihnea