Re: [opensuse-project] GSoC 2011: Bug reporting tool.
  • From: Mihnea Dobrescu-Balaur <mihneadb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 23:52:53 +0200
What I'd consider more important is a duplicate check - based on the
package (and repo?) and/or on the summary of the bugreport.
I'm not sure how accurate an automated check based on the summary
would be, but I'm thinking about a scenario like this:
- User wants to report a bug for package Foo
- the tools shows him a list with short descriptions of the already
reported bugs for the Foo package
- he _decides_ if it's been already posted or not;
Could I automate it more than that? Without AI stuff :).

Which brings up a more interesting question that is not really solvable
with $tool: The user needs to know which package causes the bug. This
might be easy in some cases ("xy crashes"), but can become quite
difficult in other cases (random crashes, slowness etc.).
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/FindRightPackage is quite helpful to answer
this question (and might give you some ideas), however I'm not sure if
the page is helpful for average users.
Maybe having a multi-step "find the right package" assistant [1] and/or
offering various methods ("click the window of the buggy program") in
the bugreporting tool could make this easier.
Will do some reading, maybe I could also check some process information
(like %CPU, %MEM, TIME etc) ?

That said: regarding the assignee, it can only become better than the
current situation in bugzilla where most bugreports initially go to the
(overworked?) screening team and take lots of time until they reach the
developers.
Yes, the plan is to figure who the maintainer is and to use that info.

Oh, and I just see I might have something to celebrate soon ;-)
Bugzilla says I have reported 972 bugs (starting with SUSE Linux 9.2
[2]) - that's not too far from 1000 bugreports. Let's hope I won't reach
the 1000 with 11.4 ;-)
Wow, you really have some bug reporting experience! Maybe we could
keep in touch, in case I have some more questions?

Mihnea