Re: [opensuse-project] GSoC 2011: Bug reporting tool.
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 11:18:38 -0400
On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 10:46 AM, Mihnea Dobrescu-Balaur
<mihneadb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

I'm applying at this year's GSoC to work on the bug reporting tool [0]. I've
made my list of features to implement but, before I finalized my proposal,
I thought it would be a good idea to ask you, guys:

Is there's any particular feature that you wish to find in the openSUSE bug
reporting tool?

Thank you!

Mihnea Dobrescu-Balaur

[0] http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:GSOC_2011_Ideas#Bug_reporting_tool_for_openSUSE

Very cool,

I think one of the hopefully obvious, but easily overlooked features
is to ensure you are reporting against the right package.

zypper and osc will be tools you will get to know rather well I suspect.

For instance:

===
zypper se -s virtualbox | grep " virtualbox "
i | virtualbox | package | 4.0.4-1.2.3
| x86_64 | openSUSE-11.4 OSS
v | virtualbox | package | 4.0.4-1.2
| x86_64 | Tumbleweed
v | virtualbox | package | 4.0.4-1.2.3
| i586 | openSUSE-11.4 OSS
v | virtualbox | package | 4.0.4-1.2
| i586 | Tumbleweed
| virtualbox | srcpackage | 4.0.4-1.2
| noarch | Tumbleweed
===

can be used to show that virtualbox 4.0.4-1.2.3 from the 11.4 OSS repo
is installed (note the 'i' in the first column). You can also see it
is the x86_64 architecture.

You can then drill down into virtualbox from that repo and find out
who the maintainer is. I don't know if that is done via zypper, or
osc, but either way you can see that a lot of the data needed to file
a bugzilla can be gathered automatically.

It would be great if that could be used to populate a ncurses form
and/or a GUI form for the user to fill out. I don't know if you
should allow the automatically collected data to be edited by the user
or not, but the bug details clearly need to manually input.

Then when the user clicks "file" (or whatever), you submit the bug to
bugzilla and maybe email the submitter an email with a link to their
bugzilla entry.

Niceties would include:

- looking to ensure they have a bugzilla account, and if not walking
the user through creating one.

- pulling dmesg logs, yast logs, etc. as needed for specific bugs.
ie. When filing a yast subsystem bug, there is a process the user is
supposed to follow.

- see http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Report_a_YaST_bug for just one
set of features you could add to your tool

I don't know that your tool would need to be part of the follow-on
questions etc. In fact I'm not sure how you could really assist with
that.

Good Luck
Greg