[opensuse-project] GSOC Idea: RFC
  • From: Alex Eftimie <alex@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 12:14:08 +0200
Hi,

I'm willing to work on [1], with a slight change on focus:
- develop a 1:1 feature set Gtk+ version of smoltGui (which I don't
think will take the entire gsoc)
- work on usability (the current version asks to be run once as root -
it could be handled prettier by gksu; ship only on executable with
parameters for different actions - as seen in upstream TODO)
- package it - build Qt and Gtk+ packages from the same sources (at
first glance this seems feasible, qt bits are only in two files, the
rest of the code seems frontend independent);
- finally, but not the least important: bring some Debian/Ubuntu love

I've already started on the last bullet, by packaging the latest smolt
(pretty basic, but functional), and uploading to my PPA[2].

My question is: does it make sense to focus also on another distro
(since this is OpenSuse's mentorship)?

Looking forward to your feedback :)

Alex

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:GSOC_2011_Ideas#GTK.2B_client_for_smolt