Re: [opensuse-project] Proposal for adapting the trademark guidelines
  • From: Helen South <helen.south@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 09:25:14 +1100
Apologies for commenting so late in the piece, but I wanted to raise a
couple of small points, for what it's worth -

1. "We are pleased to permit you to link to opensuse.org from your web site"

Do people need permission to link to a website? I've never heard of
that before. Permission to use an openSUSE graphic to do so, sure, but
to actually link? I feel it sounds rather self-important.

2. Please do not create mock or parody products with names based on the openSUSE
Marks. Also, please be aware that, in our opinion, it is not "fair use" to use
the openSUSE Marks in a manner that disparages openSUSE technology or the
openSUSE Project.

I'm pretty sure that there is no legal leg to stand on in regards to a
genuine parody. "Please do not create mock or parody products"? I
can't help thinking this is an invitation to create a lime-green
distribution called monoSUZY :)

I'm also a little concerned about the 'in our opinion' regarding
disparagement, since the only opinion that matters is the court's,
which I expect have a list of very specific definitions of what
constitutes fair use and disparagement and what doesn't.

cheers

Helen

--
IRC: helen_au