Re: [opensuse-project] First Survey on openSUSE Version naming is open now
Op 16-03-11 09:30, Andreas Jaeger schreef:
On Tuesday, March 15, 2011 23:50:11 Ricardo Chung wrote:
On Tuesday, March 15, 2011 04:23:09 PM Andreas Jaeger wrote:
On Tuesday, March 15, 2011 04:53:32 PM Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
On Tuesday 15 March 2011 12:15:56 Andreas Jaeger wrote:
Following up the discussions on what scheme to use for the openSUSE
version, I've created a survey:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZYC5PYZ
The survey is a bit limiting. I'm not able to express my preferences
there. E.g. I prefer a consecutive scheme over a date based one, but I
would rather have a good date based one than a bad consecutive one. I
also like the traditional scheme, but I don't like the cut-off for the
minor version number.

Maybe it would be better to just have one list of possible schemes, and
an additional text field for comments or alternative ideas.
I asked already for alternative ideas and enhanced it. If you have a good
idea that is completely different, please bring it up.

We will do a second voting.

Arranging the choices would be a good idea. But I doubt that the poll
module of connect.opensuse.org where we want to do this, is able to do
this - and I'm not sure about surveymonkey either,

Andreas
I am not sure you read my mail a few days ago because my ISP firewall
problems.

I will summarize it.
A.What people need to know about a release?
1.-Date it was released:
1.1. Year (we need only 2 digits to make this reference)
1.2 .Month (we need only 2 digits to make this reference too)

B. What people need to know about a release or how to differentiate a
version from other the same year were released ?
2-Date it was released
2.1. Month (we need to make reference what month or a numbering sequence to
indicate there is one release first and another after.

C.What people need to know about a release supported ?
3.-Date ends of support for security, patches updates
3.1. Year (it is not the case or it could be)
3.2. Month (everybody needs to know when is the end of life for oS Product)

Conclusion:

YY.MM-mm

YY= two digits for the year. i.e. 2012=12
MM= two digits for the month. i.e. November=11
mm=romanized small letter for the month it ends for security updates
support. i.e. May=v

Said so the next release numbering version would be openSUSE 11.11-v
Sorry, somehow I missed this. This is really a new scheme but I find it quite
complicated to explain.

Andreas
it is not complicated.
The support date for a release cycle is added to the buildtime.
But if the supporttime is 16 months, there is easy counting when year and month are used.
If main release 12 would start in 2012, many things would be much easier.

--

Enjoy your time around,

Oddball (M9.) (Now or never...)

OS: Linux 2.6.37.1-1.2-desktop x86_64