Re: [opensuse-project] Re: First Survey on openSUSE Version naming is open now
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 10:29:55 +0100
Frederic Crozat wrote:

Le mardi 15 mars 2011 à 19:29 +0100, C a écrit :
On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 19:02, jdd wrote:
Le 15/03/2011 17:56, Jim Henderson a écrit :

Same here, I don't see a compelling reason to change, maybe just a
compelling reason to define what constitutes a major version
number increase.

you see... even you don't see that there are no major/minor
difference...

Ha, and yet people still think that the openSUSE dot zero release is
"bad" and one to shy away from. If anything comes of this
discussion, I really hope it finds a way to squash that particular
myth once and for all...

Funny, at Mandriva, we had the exact same myths regarding .0 and .1
release (2009.0 vs 2009.1) : people were sure there were less bugs in
.1 vs .0, even if there was the exact same amount of breakag^Wfeatures
for each new release.

This is the way it has often been in commercial software. A .0 is a
major release, hence it will have significant new features and
therefore significantly more bugs. Early adopters go for the .0
release (or even earlier), laggards wait for the .1, .2 or later.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (10.7°C)