Re: [opensuse-project] Re: First Survey on openSUSE Version naming is open now
  • From: Chuck Payne <terrorpup@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 15:43:02 -0400
On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jim Henderson wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 20:02:13 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:

Jim Henderson wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 11:29:34 -0400, Chuck Payne wrote:

Me too, though I wish we just keep numbering, it is a part of name,
like me change my last name from Payne to Smith.

Same here, I don't see a compelling reason to change, maybe just a
compelling reason to define what constitutes a major version number
increase.

One compelling reason to change is that our current numbering scheme
doesn't match what we do - i.e. we have no major.minor release
scheme.

One might argue that we have a scheme, we don't have something that
differentiates between major and minor releases.  ie, we have a scheme
(major.minor), but it lacks definitions of what constitute a major or
minor release.

But that might just be semantics. :-)

Important nonetheless.

Andreas started out by saying it quite clearly "openSUSE does not have a
major and minor numbering, even if it seems so. There is right now no
difference in any way between what we would do for openSUSE 11.4 or
12.0".

To me, that is a significant discrepancy that we have to fix, and there
are two ways of doing that:

1) introduce planning of major releases of openSUSE.
2) stop using major.minor version numbers of openSUSE.

I have sofar been advocating 1), but as the powers that be do not seem
overly inclined to taking that path, 2) is the alternative.  I would
much prefer "openSUSE 27" with no implied meaning over "openSUSE 13.4"
with an implied ".4" meaning of no value.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.8°C)

I don't. I really wish we drop this one waste of time and keep the
name as it is.

--
(678) 636-9678
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member