[opensuse-project] Re: Crazy idea - use bugzilla metrics to gauge quality?
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 19:14:11 +0000 (UTC)
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 19:52:00 +0200, Kostas Koudaras wrote:

I am probably not the one who will give a solution to that but I would
recommend something like(based in your example): 89% solution on 100
problems
100% solution on 20 problems
So that the people can have a wider image of the whole situation and
quality of it.
It reminds me a bit the torrent seeds and peers situation...

Somewhat, yes, though I've often seen statistics like that misused to
show that product quality has improved because the number of reports has
dropped from 100 to 20 as well. That isn't necessarily an indicator of
quality - since people's willingness to report depends on a number of
factors, including whether or not they feel as if their issues are being
addressed or not.

(I'm not saying that's a problem with openSUSE, just a general statement
on the use/misuse of that kind of statistic.)

Jim

--
Jim Henderson