  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 20:24:51 +0100
Refilwe Seete wrote:

Although I understand the need to be a distinct distro, I don't see
why we should continue with a confusing numbering system to do so.

Certainly our community, development philosophy, unique tools, and
brand are enough to keep openSUSE distinct.

No, not to the end-user we are targetting. Apart from the brand,
none of that is important to the end-user. Not even the technically
savvy.

I don't completely agree here, but I'll accept your train of thought
and ask some questions within its bounds.

Would such end-users be helped or informed by a numbering system that
does not correlate to anything they are familiar with?

Put another way, how does having our current arbitrary numbering
system help us with such users?

It doesn't, and I suspect it was never intended to either. Version
numbering and release-demarkation has traditionally had two-three
primary purposes:

1) marketing
2) support
3) maintenance.

2 and 3 often go hand-in-hand, but I'm not sure how relevant they really
are for us. Which leave sus with 1, perhaps also not overly relevant?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.6°C)