On 03/13/2011 09:53 AM, Helen South wrote:
On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 7:34 PM, Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
We had this week a discussion on IRC on how to name the next release
and I took the action item to do a poll on connect.opensuse.org now to
help us solve the naming of openSUSE distribution releases.

openSUSE does not have a major and minor numbering, even if it seems
so. There is right now no difference in any way between what we would
do for openSUSE 11.4 or 12.0 - and no sense to speak about openSUSE 11
or openSUSE 11 family. We also have no process on how to name the next
release (when to increase which parts of the number).

Here are some options, if I miss some, please tell me and I will then
soon setup a poll. I'm listening the next version we would use as well
as how the following would be called as an example. Remember we have
releases every 8 months, so the next releases are: November 2011, July
2012, March 2013, November 2013, July 2014, March 2015.

<snip>

I strongly oppose any name-based system, as for many distributions I
find their naming choices to be contrived and often irritating.
(Particularly Mint's cutesy girl's names). Scientific names might seem
like a good idea to those of us with an interest in those things, but
won't reasonate with users who are more into literature. And why use
the name of a philosopher if the distribution doesn't actively embody
something of that person's philosophy? It's just a meaningless code
then.

Obviously Star Wars and other movies are out. We already have enough
trouble encouragin casual contributors to be careful of branding and
legal matters.

A simple numbering system would be fine. As a user, finding
information on my current release is easy "opensuse 11.3" in a search
string usually yeilds relevant results.

Keep it short, clear and simple to type. Try not to introduce extra
punctuation. It would be preferable if it wasn't a commonly used date
format.

best,

Helen

I love that logical common sense .

Kiss methodology : keep it simple & stupid :-)

For the jump from 11 to 12, my only suggestion is that will mark one of the
major change.
Well our main sponsor at the next release time will not be Novell but
Attachmate.
That can motivate the 12.0 jump, then keep it just number.

--

Bruno Friedmann
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

openSUSE Member & Ambassador