On Friday, March 11, 2011 01:23:53 PM Nelson Marques wrote:
On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Ricardo Chung <amon0.thoth1@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On Friday, March 11, 2011 11:08:20 AM Kim Leyendecker wrote:
Am 11.03.2011 16:58, schrieb Kim Leyendecker:
Then we use the names of..... I don´t know. What do you think about
"openSUSE 12.0 Konrad Adenauer" as an example.... But I really don´t
know :/

thanks

Okay, maybe we use names of important persons. Like "openSUSE x.y
Kennedy" or "openSUSE x.y Washington" as an example. Of course we can
use "openSUSE x.y Torvalds" or "openSUSE x.y Cox" too.

thanks

PS: "openSUSE x.y Kim Leyendecker" is the best choice ;)

Beside the numerical reference we could use people names who made some
contribution for Information Technologies (software, networks,
algorithms, communications, security,etc) So we can honor their merits
and made them visibles. Nobody did that before and openSUSE would be the
first.

Or we can exploit it using names of contributors who made relevant
contributions to the previous version, so eventually we could use it
also to promote ourselves (as a community) and encourage people to
contribute more into the distribution. The only problem I would
forecast is how be fair to everyone and eventually would make us waste
resources on stuff like measuring and weighting contributions.

That's not the spirit inside my propousal because it would be hard to watch
contributions or it would take a big resources (overhead) to score
contributions from our people or other contributors. Said so, there are a lot
of people (software developers, engineers, mathematicians, etc.) who are
making or made our communications to jump one or three levels up in our short
information technologies history and maybe not enough known as presidents,
politicians, or business people are.

So your suggestion really is cool as it is because it cuts down all
the logistics and hard decisions ;)

Thank you for consider it.

NM

The only drawback is the flames about who is who. We can name it without
regards how much contribution that person made. It is not a competition
just a way to recognize our anonymous contributors.

Remember is not a mumbering replacement (whatever we do adopt). It is
just an add-on to recognize those people who made a contribution and
changed the way we interact with our machines or communications devices.

What do you think ?
--
Ricardo Chung | openSUSE Linux Ambassador
Panama

--
Ricardo Chung | openSUSE Linux Ambassador
Panama

Testing: openSUSE 11.4 | KDE 4.6 | Mesa 3D-Nouveau Gallium 7.10