  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 21:37:51 +0100
James Mason wrote:

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 11:31 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
James Mason wrote:

Internally, I'd like to just make the codenames more obvious.  How
many people know the current release (officially 11.4) is codenamed
'Celadon' ?

Not many (until they install it).

The long history of using green shades/objects is neutral and
unique.

Even if not always language-neutral.  (lysegrøn is a shade of green
in my mothertongue).

I'd be fine with openSUSE lysegrøn :)

:-)

Along that concept, I could tell you off the top of my head that
Debian's last current release is Etch, but I'd have to google to tell
you that's 6.0.0.

Which might just be a good argument for keeping version numbering. To a
non-native English speaker "Etch" is perhap at best a part
of "Etch-a-Sketch", an 80s childs toy. Numbers are language-neutral
(for anyone using arabic numerals at least :-).
I know I've just installed 11.4, but I have no idea what the codename
for 11.3 was.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (5.4°C)