On Friday, March 11, 2011 03:34:14 AM Andreas Jaeger wrote:
We had this week a discussion on IRC on how to name the next release
and I took the action item to do a poll on connect.opensuse.org now to
help us solve the naming of openSUSE distribution releases.

openSUSE does not have a major and minor numbering, even if it seems
so. There is right now no difference in any way between what we would
do for openSUSE 11.4 or 12.0 - and no sense to speak about openSUSE 11
or openSUSE 11 family. We also have no process on how to name the next
release (when to increase which parts of the number).

Here are some options, if I miss some, please tell me and I will then
soon setup a poll. I'm listening the next version we would use as well
as how the following would be called as an example. Remember we have
releases every 8 months, so the next releases are: November 2011, July
2012, March 2013, November 2013, July 2014, March 2015.

1. "old school": The same we do right now but let's decide when to
change the right number: we count it always until 3.
Next release is 12.0.
Following releases: 12.1, 12.2, 12.3, 13.0
2. "Fedora style": Just integers.
Next release is: 12
Following release: 13, 14, 15
3. "Mandriva style": YYYY.counter (4 digit year, counter starts a 0)
Next release is: 2011.1
Following releases: 2012.0, 2013.0, 2013.1, 2014.0, 2015.1
4. "Ubuntu style": YY.MM (2 digit year, 2 digit month)
Next release is: 11.11
Following releases: 12.07, 13.03, 13.11, 14.07, 15.03
5. "Ubuntu style variation": YYYY-MM (4 digit year, 2 digit month)
Next release is: 2011-11
Following releases are: 2012-07, 2013-03, 2013-11, 2014-07, 2015-03
6. "octal": Coolo came up with calling the next release "o 12" and
then proposed to go octal (so 012). We decided to start with 012
even if that 10 in decimal.
Next release is: 012
Following releases: 013, 014, 015, 016, 017, 020
7. "Seasons": "Season YYYY" since March is in spring, July in summer,
and November is in autumn.
Next release is: Autumn 2011
Following releases: Summer 2012, Spring 2013, Autumn 2013, Summer
2014

Anything else I should add to the list above?

Andreas

Considering this subject comes regularly and seems like there is no
satisfaction the way we name our release. There is no minor major logic to
keep versions. I wouldn't like follow the same way other do because they don't
have a better way or impacting way to name a release . Linux moves by regular
incremental improvements and not jumping to break something.

I suggest something simpler. We have the 11 now. That's mean nothing else than
a numbering sequence AFAIK. So, we can keep the 11 number by the rest of the
year. Next year we can start with 12 as reference to 2012 and adding the month
number release. So if we release on march 2012 our first release will be 12.03
and the next release will be September, so it will be 12.06. It is easy to
rembember and to make references when is needed. It is not need to look an
historical table or timetable to know when it was released. It gives us the
year and the month it was released. No confusion at all.

We already have the 2 first digits sequence coming from long time and I don't
think we are going to change the whole sequence to fix this. So, at least we
are jumping to major changes we could just change the digits behind the dot.
We should make an announcenment to settle out there when this will start to
rule and write it for historical references of these changes.

Best,

--
Ricardo Chung | openSUSE Linux Ambassador
Panama

openSUSE 11.4 | KDE 4.6 | Mesa 3D-Nouveau Gallium 7.10