Re: [opensuse-project] Proposal for adapting the trademark guidelines
  • From: Helen South <helen.south@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 08:51:48 +1100
On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 9:19 PM, Jean Cayron <jean.cayron@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
=== Publications ===

If you want to include all or part of an openSUSE Mark in the title or
subtitle
of a publication such as a book or magazine, you should seek our permission
(see
"Contact Information" below to request permission).
=====

Does it mean dat any Magazine that makes a review on the last openSUSE
version (I don't speek of a special magazine with a CD inside) should
ask the permission before writing it? Is the publication the magazine
itself (in that case if they do the cover they should ask permission)
or an article (in that case I think it goes a bit to far, at least for
the use of the brand name)? Shouldn't it be clarified?

Regards,

NO, this is really very clear. the TITLE means the name of the
publication itself, for example, "Linux Magazine". So you can't
publish "The openSUSE Magazine", or "LIZARD NEWS" with the -subtitle-
"The openSUSE News Blog" or "The Daily openSUSEer" without asking
permission.

For a magazine to put "openSUSE Reviewed" on their front page does not
require permission. This is describing content and is not the title of
the publication.

The difference between title and content is clear; subtitle can be a
little trickier (ie, if they put "The openSUSE Issue" under the title,
that could possibly be regarded as a subtitle, so a slightly grey
area, but let's not be too silly in trying to cover every single
eventuality).

cheers

Helen

--