Re: [opensuse-project] Questions for the candidates
  • From: Kostas Koudaras <warlordfff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 16:59:02 +0200
2011/1/12 Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Hi,

I read the platforms of all candidates, and I have a few questions :-)
I'd appreciate if you could take some time to answer them; it'll help me
vote in an informed way.

1) You described various issues you'd like to get fixed and goals you
  want to achieve. Will you still work on (or help with) those tasks
  if you're not on the board, or do you think you really need to be on
  the board for some of those tasks?

Of course and I will work on the goals I want to achieve even if I
won't be elected on the board. Doing otherwise would be stupid. Being
on the board I believe it will maybe help achieving those goals at
first because it is another thing to try something and another thing
to really achieve something.

2) How much time per week can you secure (approximately) for the board?
  (I know it will be 0% of your time for some weeks, and much more
  for some other weeks; I'm interested in the average)

This is really my strong point. Due to the nature of my work (seasonal
firefighter) with the exception of a great dissaster I can work at
least 2-3 hours per day, up to 8 hours (or more if I have a day off)
if needed.

3) Did you attend IRC board meetings already?

Yes I did attended on some, but I did not participated in all of them,
sometimes when I have nothing to say I keep silent and watch.

4) It's interesting that I see nearly no note about budget/money in
  platforms. When (not if ;-)) we'll have the Foundation, the board
  will have to work on a budget. So a few questions about this...

  4a) Have you experience with creating/dealing with a budget?
  4b) Where will we find money for the Foundation?
  4c) What should we use the money for?

4a) Yes I have a small experience from the time I used to organize
gig's and from when I organized the 3rd summer camp of the motorcycle
forum I was in. So yes when it comes to events I have some experience.
4b) Well we will have to be creative on this, but no matter what we
do, we must not make a discount at our values for raising money.
4c) For more face to face communication among important projects participants.

5) I do think it'd be useful to have some board-related meeting at
  FOSDEM. That should help the newly-elected board members to know
  faster what's happening, and how things work. Will you come to
  FOSDEM? (I know some people, and that's most probably true for the
  non-European, will likely not be able to attend; that's not an issue)

No, I won't because I am not a developer and I would not be useful for
anyone there but I will be at the Marketing Hackfest a few weeks later
where I believe I will make myself far more useful to the community.

7) Do you care more about Free Software or Open Source? Just to be
  clear: there's no wrong answer. But it helps understand why you
  contribute to projects like openSUSE.

I strongly believe in Free Software as I strongly believe in Freedom
but I accept the need for Open Source and I believe in that also
because so far it cover the true needs we have as users. I hope that
one day Free software will reach that level that we will no longer
need Open Source.

Questions to specific candidates, related to their platform:

 Kostas: do you have examples of "motives" we can give to people so they
        participate in the project?

From my experience in various types of communities I've learned that
people in order to participate in a project they need motives. Motives
for each individual can be a different thing but the 3 most common
things people examine before they decide to participate in a community
are, under my opinion and my experience: the way things work in a
community, the effectiveness of their participation and the quality of
the work done. In our community all those three are happening but I
believe that we don't promote them so well. I can tell you for sure
that motivating people with those three helped me and Stathis
Iosifidis to built the Greek openSUSE community from scratch in 4
months and everybody can see the results of that.

I wish you all the best for the election :-)

Thanks,

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.