Re: [opensuse-project] Science and Education repos/ Scientific packages
  • From: Thomas Hertweck <Thomas.Hertweck@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 19:15:35 +0100
Hi Werner,

On 21/09/10 12:41, Werner Hoch wrote:
On Donnerstag, 16. September 2010, Thomas Hertweck wrote:
On 16/09/10 11:17, Alin Marin Elena wrote:
[...]
First I would like to know what is the Education repo and what is
the science repo..
which of them would be the best place to push scientific packages.

Could you give examples of what you would typically classify as
"scientific packages"? Tools like "octave", "gnuplot" etc are part
of the standard distribution as far as I know. These are tools that
I would classify as "general purpose science tools".

When the science repository started there was only a pretty old octave
package in the standard distribution.

Another problem are the used build options in the standard repostitory.
Usually without lapack or hdf5 support.

Thus some packages that can be compiled with more configurations need to
be rebuild.

I understand the problem. However, it can be quite difficult for users if
they find an octave package in the standard repo, another octave in the
science repo, and perhaps a third octave in a private repo. If the
standard repo contains an old octave, I think nowadays it would be better
if this package could be updated instead of providing another package in a
different repository. This might not be possible under all circumstances
but from my perspective we should at least aim for minimizing duplicate
RPM packages in all the repos. This will also minimize the user's
confusion. I've heard from quite a lot of people that they find the layout
of the OBS etc confusing, and the more repos you add to your software
manager the more likely you run into dependency problems.
I've been there myself.

Regards,
Thomas