[opensuse-project] Announcing Candidacy for the openSUSE Board
  • From: Pavol Rusnak <prusnak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 16:38:57 +0100
¡Hola openSUSE Folks!

I would like to announce my candidacy for openSUSE Board Elections 2009.

My name is Pavol Rusnak and I'm 25 years old. I was born in Kosice,
Slovakia, but for the last 7 years I've been living in Prague, Czech
Republic, where I graduated from computer science at the Charles University.

You might recognize me from various openSUSE related mailing lists or
IRC channels, where I use nick prusnak, or from my blog[1], which is
syndicated on Planet SUSE. Some of you have met me during conferences
like openSUSE Conference in September and I'm looking forward to meet
you all at FOSDEM in February.

I've been at Novell for 3 years now and at the same time I became a part
of openSUSE project. I started in the Czech Packagers Team[2], where I
was responsible for lots of networking and XML packages (e.g. wireshark,
libxml2), game libraries (e.g. the whole libSDL stack) and Xfce desktop
environment. Times has changed since and now I maintain (with a great
help of you, community maintainers) countless number of packages all
across the Build Service (with Contrib and Games being momentarily my
favorite repositories :-)).

In July 2009, I was happy to join the openSUSE Boosters Team[3], a "team
which is pushing the openSUSE project forward as a part and for the
benefit of the community". During our brainstorming sessions we managed
to create a list of nearly 40 projects[4] or ideas worth pursuing.

I applied for the board, because I think it should consist of both
technical and non-technical people. Currently there is a lot of
discussion, but very little of actual implementing things. As a person
with great technical overview I can steer the community members around
particular topics they choose to work on. I can bootstrap their
activity, give them helping hand in the beginnings and try the best to
develop their project into a fully independent one. A great example of
this is inclusion of LXDE into openSUSE.

There is a huge amount of work ahead of us and I would be glad to drive
the effort not only from the openSUSE Boosters Team perspective but also
from the openSUSE Board point of view.

Thank you!

[1] http://stick.gk2.sk/blog/
[2] http://en.opensuse.org/Czech_Packagers_Team
[3] http://en.opensuse.org/Boosters_Team
[4] http://en.opensuse.org/Boosters_Team/Projects

--
Best Regards / S pozdravom,

Pavol RUSNAK SUSE LINUX, s.r.o
openSUSE Boosters Team Lihovarska 1060/12
PGP 0xA6917144 19000 Praha 9, CR
prusnak[at]suse.cz http://www.suse.cz