Re: [opensuse-project] Decision making transparency ...
  • From: "Christian Jäger" <christian.jaeger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: 1 Sep 2009 22:26:31 +0200
Am Dienstag, den 01.09.2009, 12:02 -0500 schrieb Bryen M Yunashko:

As Michl mentioned in his announcement, he did talk to the teams
involved. In fact, what happened was that we, the Board, brought
together representatives from each team to a meeting just before the
decision was announced. The decision was already made by the time the
announcement was made, and in hindsight that is regrettable. But, the
focus of the meeting was specifically the intentions you have outlined.

Both sides identified their perceptions and feelings and we opened up a
great dialogue. This discussion is by no means completed and we intend
to further this discussion at the openSUSE Conference coming up in
Nuremberg this month.

I believe from this meeting, we achieved greater understanding of each
other. It was clear from everyone present that we all want to work
together in a more harmonious way that supports the success of each
Desktop Environment on openSUSE.

Actually, that's the first I time anyone told about this in details.
That's great, but why wasn't there a communique by the board or
something? As the title of this thread says, a little more transparency
wouldn't hurt.

Well, seems at least _one_ thing went right. What's still missing to put
my mind at ease is that we have to make sure that such a 'dictate of the
majority' (or rather of the most vocal part of the community) as we saw
here cannot happen again. We need a carther that guarantees the equal
positions of GNOME and KDE communties in the openSUSE either by concrete
measures (such as 'no default desktop') or by a 50-50-parity of seats on
the openSUSE board.

What do you think?

Greets,
Chris