Re: [opensuse-project] Decision making transparency ...
  • From: Patrick Shanahan <ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 17:55:22 -0400
* Christian Jäger <christian.jaeger@xxxxxx> [08-27-09 17:03]:

My history is Mac --> Windows 3.1 till 2000 --> KDE 3.5 --> GNOME. And
yes, I try KDE from time to time. Not my cup of tea, but it's fine.

I prefer GNOME but I would never, NEVER have gotten it in my head that
KDE was 'undeservedly' treated as an equal to my preferred DE because
_my_ preferred DE isn't defaulted. That's a way of thinking that I
cannot condone; if find it downright indecent. But well, all of us
GNOMErs respect the decision to default KDE for 11.2; as dubious as the
decision-making process might have been,

but I for one _demand_ that this decision be revisited for 11.3.

I what light, that the more likely choice, normally that which would be
choosen the most often, should not be default or ....

I fail to see a problem and not because I use kde. I am perfectly able
to choose gnome or xfce4 should I fancy, and I frequently do use xfce4
rather than *any* of the others. But I do see reason that xfce4 "should
not" be selected to be the default.

I was present during the wonderment of the kde users when it was
announced that Novell had chosen gnome for the desktop for the sponsored
editions and witnessed the dismay and concern that kde would be dropped.
I believe that, perhaps, you are feeling that same dismay?

Time has shown that kde has *not* been orphaned and the same will prevail
for gnome. The two are much too popular to dissappear.

But lets put aside our concerns and accept that we will move forward
*together* :^)

gud luk,