Re: [opensuse-project] Decision making transparency ...
  • From: "Christian Jäger" <christian.jaeger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: 27 Aug 2009 23:03:14 +0200
Am Donnerstag, den 27.08.2009, 16:35 -0400 schrieb Patrick Shanahan:
* Christian Jäger <christian.jaeger@xxxxxx> [08-27-09 16:03]:
redefining it as a smaller circle (openSUSE minus GNOME).

This is not now nor evey was contemplated. It exists *only* in your mind.
The entire discussion was based in making a default choice based on
expected usage and was not to show partiality or demonstrate a
better-worse situation, and was intended to address the new linux user
only.

That intention I doubt. At least a 'healthy bit' of enthusiasm to push
KDE did come across in some comments; completely understandable. What I
don't understand is that _obviously_ Mr Schlander and Mr Lubak did not
waste any thoughts on how their _demand_ to default KDE would play with
the openSUSE GNOME community.

You *obviously* prefer gnome. Have you not tried any of the others
before making your choice and are you not interested that one of the
others may have a feature you might like?

My history is Mac --> Windows 3.1 till 2000 --> KDE 3.5 --> GNOME. And
yes, I try KDE from time to time. Not my cup of tea, but it's fine.

I prefer GNOME but I would never, NEVER have gotten it in my head that
KDE was 'undeservedly' treated as an equal to my preferred DE because
_my_ preferred DE isn't defaulted. That's a way of thinking that I
cannot condone; if find it downright indecent. But well, all of us
GNOMErs respect the decision to default KDE for 11.2; as dubious as the
decision-making process might have been, but I for one _demand_ that
this decision be revisited for 11.3.