Re: [opensuse-project] Decision making numerically ...
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 20:16:36 +1000
Michael Meeks wrote:
On Wed, 2009-08-26 at 12:23 +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:

But these contain so many variables too (did people still have
gnome 2.24 when the patch came out? Did people actually use the
software they are downloading patches for?...)

Yes - I agree it is a quagmire of uncertainty :-) In a world of
(wonderful) 'zypper dup' - if we measure ISO downloads do we loose a
chunk of our most clueful user-base ? there are too many imponderables.

[pruned]

So - to unreasonably extrapolate from this small sample, in this random
timeframe I would turn that into:

rough percentage of download sites:
50.2% - chose KDE4
32.9% - chose both
16.9% - chose Gnome

from which - it seems, extrapolating, that we are needlessly annoying
1/3rd of DVD users by having a straight choice in that dialog rather
than check boxes (which can be made an orthogonal issue to having a
default - we can have both).

GNOME is handicapped by a major marketing problem.

First, the name GNOME, which to more people than less, gives the
impression that it one of those concrete, insignificant looking, dwarves
scattered around some ding-a-ling's garden. (The husband of a late
friend of ours not only had gnomes in their front garden but also a
crypt with a statue of the madonna - surrounded by those gnomes! Sheesh!)

Having the knowledge that GNOME stands for 'GNU Network Object Model
Environment' means sweet FA to everybody - except to the GNOME
developers and other assorted and dedicated users.

And having a big footprint, with 5 toes, as its "trademark" doesn't
help in any way.

Put both together and the picture created in a person's mind is that of
a mythical and outdated 'creature' pretending to provide the very latest
desktop environment for the modern user.

MS and others did not adopt GNOME as the DE, did they?

On the other hand, KDE has a simple, elegant, trademark symbol, and has
the simple and elegant name of 'KDE' which in Russian, for example,
simply means, "Where?" or in English simply, 'KDE'. But with no
connotations of dwarves, gnomes, or Bigfoot walking in mud, or snow, and
not even wearing shoes.

BC

--
Great Man reaches complete understanding of the main issues; Petty Man reaches
complete understanding of the minute details."

Confucius