[opensuse-project] Decision making numerically ...
  • From: Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:09:54 +0100

On Wed, 2009-08-26 at 12:23 +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
But these contain so many variables too (did people still have
gnome 2.24 when the patch came out? Did people actually use the
software they are downloading patches for?...)

Yes - I agree it is a quagmire of uncertainty :-) In a world of
(wonderful) 'zypper dup' - if we measure ISO downloads do we loose a
chunk of our most clueful user-base ? there are too many imponderables.

All in all, I think there are no unbiased variables - so there
will always have to be a decision made if the data we can get
is representative enough or not.

True; I like the live CD install / update data because it avoids (post
11.2) the bias caused by having a default pre-selected, and shows a
clear choice. [ can we detect the install / update of a live-CD vs. a
DVD install ? ] - it seems the clearest, most easily measurable proxy
for the choice during the installation flow that I can see.

Just out of interest, I queried the logs of last week for live cd redirects
(I dare to say that in august we see mainly people not already using
openSUSE):

5323 IPs downloaded KDE4
3492 IPs downloaded GNOME
1791 IPs downloaded both

So - to unreasonably extrapolate from this small sample, in this random
timeframe I would turn that into:

rough percentage of download sites:
50.2% - chose KDE4
32.9% - chose both
16.9% - chose Gnome

from which - it seems, extrapolating, that we are needlessly annoying
1/3rd of DVD users by having a straight choice in that dialog rather
than check boxes (which can be made an orthogonal issue to having a
default - we can have both).

Of course, we need a longer sample run from a more sensible time, and
more thought - but it seems a reasonable metric to me - though clearly,
actual live-CD install numbers would better. Clearly we want to best
align all communities motivations with the process of installing
millions of new seats of openSUSE :-)

Thanks,

Michael.

--