Re: [opensuse-project] Decision made - openFATE feature 306967, KDE default
  • From: Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 21:22:46 +0000
Hi Christian,

On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 22:08 +0200, Christian Jäger wrote:
Exactly my sentiments. I am here for openSUSE's GNOME desktop; I had the
pleasure of exchanging some mails with GNOME devs Ricardo Cruz and
Michael Meeks during the last year or so and found they were really
great guys; I have enjoyed openSUSE a lot.

Hey :-) thanks for the plaudits; hopefully it can continue to be fun -
even though I share your dismay here. My personal experience of being
kicked is to work harder to fix it. If you got demotivated and walked
away - you lost already (and so did we all). Lets focus our energy into
making openSUSE's GNOME the best it can be [ it's already pretty awesome
- and incidentally, thanks for all your great design on the yast2
software frontend, I find myself actually using it by choice instead of
zypper :-) ].

Oh - and of course, we need some reasonable metric to find a time when
this discussion is actually worth re-opening. I suggest two trigger
points here: either when we get a new, more representative community
governance, or when we achieve parity in popularity. For the latter -
since the DVD installation now has a default that will permanently skew
the results making them worthless as a useful determinant, and in doing
so of course trashes the usefulness of package update frequency as a
metric - I suspect that the only remaining fair metric is live-CD
download numbers.

So - I guess that the best approach here is to encourage insane numbers
of people to download and install the Gnome live-CD, and find
increasingly fun and creative ways to get people to use openSUSE in that
form :-) at least, that is my plan - disappointed though I am.

All the best,

Michael.

--
michael.meeks@xxxxxxxxxx <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot