[opensuse-project] openSUSE DE based DVD Images & Drop Live-CDs
  • From: Sankar P <sankar.curiosity@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 20:37:56 +0530
Hi,

I recently started doing a lot of mark-all-as-read in the
opensuse-project mailing list due to the sheer volume. So this may be
asked by someone and answered, already. If so, Please excuse me and
point me to the right URL of the archive. I will just read from there.
Google and GMail search didnt help in locating this myself.

A lot has been discussed about the default desktop in the installation
media. But why not have DVD images of the entire applications that
relate to a single desktop. Kernel, X, OpenOffice, Firefox etc. will
remain common. For a pure GNOME/KDE user, LiveCD will not be
sufficient with all the packages and [s]he may need other Desktop
applications as well. (No more fights between pidgin/empathy/xchat ?
monsoon/transmission ? give both).

In this way, in the http://software.opensuse.org page, you just have
to add a row: GNOME/KDE/BOTH . choosing BOTH will download an image
that when installed will pre-select KDE (as per the previous
decision).

One thing I could see is, it will increase the workload for
maintaining, LIVE-CD, Full-DVD, Desktop-DVD. If the download
statistics of live-cd are comparably low, we can just ignore it and
maintain only DVD images of Live-Desktop-editions. If a person really
wants to try Linux and [s]he is ready to download a live-cd, I dont
think [s]he will hesitate to download a live-dvd image as well. Any
other drawbacks in this ?

--
Sankar P
http://psankar.blogspot.com