Re: [opensuse-project] Decision made - openFATE feature 306967, KDE default
  • From: Peter Albrecht <peter.albrecht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 20:44:37 +0200
Hi Kevin,

We can scream from the hills that KDE and GNOME are equally as high
quality and respected choices in our products, but now, our actions
don't reflect it. We're telling new users that "KDE and GNOME are just
as good (but you'll really want KDE, you know?)" How should that feel
to members of the community who work on GNOME, or people like me who
are only involved in the project because of the high-quality GNOME
desktop?

And what do you tell all the KDE users and developers who find GNOME to be
the default on SUSE Linux Enterprise? Your arguments apply to them as
well. I think many KDE developers have been disappointed in the past
because Novell chose to prefer GNOME. And SUSE always has been a KDE
distribution before the acquisition by Novell.

There are always two sides of a decision. And taking into account that the
large majority of openSUSE users prefers KDE, I believe that was the right
decision.

Regards,

Peter

--
Peter Albrecht Tel: +49-(0)-89-287793-83
Open Source School GmbH Mob: +49-(0)-173-3528664

HRB 172645 - Amtsgericht München
Geschäftsführer: Peter Albrecht, Dr. Markus Wirtz