[opensuse-project] Unable to Install cause of too old drivers, due to long release cycles
  • From: Lars Steen <l.steen@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 00:27:53 +0200
Dear List,

I had the problem that on my server computer the mainboard crashed.
So I had to buy a new one and tried to use the old CPU, Memory, Grapik and Storage.
As the Intel 775 Socket is widely known it was easy to find a suitable board, but the old chipset wasn't reachable.
As I had to buy a new and not a used one, it was ok for me to fetch a modern chipset.

But openSuSE 11,1 was unable to boot, because cdrom or storage weren't excessible( not found).
This was due to the new chipset.
I use SuSe for many year's as a user and not so far as an admin. That's why I was unable to solve the problem.
As I had no ideas I used other distro's.
All of them had the same problem, since there came a new release.
After a new release I was able to boot and successfully install the other distro's.

As SuSestudio was launched I hoped my dreams come through and I will be able to build just a small one for myself for installation.
But it was not possible, even the new builded one's crashed.
For the opensuse studio I need an "updated" Kernel & driver just to boot modern hardware.
After that I will be able to come along.

My intension is to give a distribution a new "Kernel & Driver" without testing and verifying the hole buch of software.
The endusersoftware and features should kept untouched.So the release has the same usability/features.
To get it clear: These "Kernel"-releases are only for installation issues during boot and absolutely not for any software problem.
For software issues is the updater ok and does a good work (in my opinion).

I am worrying about the release cycles of 8 months as very long hope you find my tip useful just to help the community to install on modern hardware.

regards
Lars