Re: [opensuse-project] Decision made - openFATE feature 306967, KDE default
  • From: Michael Loeffler <michl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 12:39:48 +0200
Moin,
On Thursday 20 August 2009 22:48:17 Charles Kerr wrote:
On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 8:56 AM, Michael Loeffler<michl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

After consideration of the project discussion I discussed the feature
request further with the openSUSE Board and other leaders within the
openSUSE project and came to the decision to follow the request: we will
default the radio button to KDE in the DVD installer. Therefore, with
openSUSE 11.2 release, the KDE desktop will be installed if the user
accepts the default setting. Users can also choose the GNOME desktop at
this stage.

http://www.h-online.com/open/openSUSE-to-default-to-KDE--/news/114050
is reporting on this decision in the following way:

"From openSUSE 11.2 onwards, the installation
process from DVD will offer a choice between KDE
and GNOME, with KDE pre-selected."

Lubos blogged about it this way:
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/4052

"If GNOME one day becomes more popular in
openSUSE than KDE, it becomes the default.
As simple as that."

Which of these statements is a correct interpretation of
the decision? Making this clear and upfront now may save
some frustration later on.
Both are correct.
We pre-select KDE via defaulting the radio button to KDE on the "desktop
selection" screen. The decision was made due to usability reason in
combination with the currently more used desktop which is KDE as of today.
This may change in the future and then we may change it to the desktop most
used in the future - as we're doing it in many areas of the distribution, eg.
ReiserFS is not default anymore nor is Konqueror our default browser anymore.
Things change over time.

Best
Michael

cheers,