Re: [opensuse-project] Disappointed in last Weekly news.
  • From: member greenarrow1 <greenarrow1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:49:03 -0700
On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 5:30 AM, Andreas Jaeger<aj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Saturday 15 August 2009 23:36:26 Dean Hilkewich wrote:
After looking though the weekly news, I do have to say that I am
disappointed that no status, comments, etc have been given on the 'KDE
as default' issue.  This after all the number one openfate item and the
lack of updates from the team is concerning to say the least.  There is
a clear and decisive trend to the issue from the community but it seems
the ones that have final say are hoping if nothing is said that the
issue will disappear.

Regardless of which one is first or the default the new user is going
to choose the one closest to the Windows desktop and the ease of use.
The reason Ubuntu is high in use is it is close to a windows desktop
and the new user does not have to have a high learning phase to use
the operating system when changing over. Yes, Ubuntu uses GNOME but
it is modified but they also offer Kbuntu for people wanting a KDE
desktop without having to resort to all types of modifications to the
base operating system.

Until Linux joins forces and creates 1 major system without distros
creating in house fighting amongst Linux developers it will remain as
is. As much as I do not like saying this I am growing tired of the
forever and ever my desktop is better than yours or my distro is
better than theirs. People read this on the internet and I do see
posts about this very subject. Just like the argument about using
proprietary on Linux. Well, people do like to use programs and
hardware they are use to or want and not just what a developer says.
Instead of arguing about desktops why not join forces and create the
best desktop ever from the both?

Until this subject was brought up I actually never noticed what
desktop was first or even if there was a default when installing
openSUSE. I also have more than 1 computer so I use all 3 desktops
so I can compare all and work on each to better openSUSE. They all
have their great areas and bad areas but they all work.

What ever decision is made I will still support openSUSE and I am
quite sure most of you will also.

Michael Löffler said on this list that he will consult with the board and make
a decision by mid of August.  He's offline for the weekend and I guess we'll
hear soon from him,

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, aj@{novell.com,opensuse.org}