Re: [opensuse-project] More Support for the openSUSE Project
  • From: Bryen M Yunashko <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 18:43:59 -0500
On Thu, 2009-08-13 at 20:18 +0100, Richard (MQ) wrote:

That's still true :( - I'm disappointed as much by the
less-than-transparent decision processes and the off-the-cuff
"announcement" as the fact itself. Are any of these three endorsed by
the board?

No. Technical decisions and resource allocationss are not within the
purview of the Board. Our focus is on Community and representing it as
well as resolving conflicts. The matter of PPC support has never been
brought to the Board and so thus we have not rendered a position of
endorsing or opposing that decision.

My memory is failing me a bit now, but I do recall PPC support being
discussed. Perhaps on mailing list or in IRC channels. I'm not sure,
but this is not a new topic to me. So, if anything, I would say the
failure isn't in letting people know about this change, but in not
getting the word out far enough to ensure people heard about this news.
That's something we need to address, for sure.

If you feel that this is not a good decision and you want the Board to
express an opinion on the matter, you are free to send us an email and
state your case. You can send an email to board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I will say this much. It *is* a 'pick your battles' world out there.
Obviously, removal of support impacts you greatly, but as statistics
demonstrate, the impact does not affect as many users as we'd like. We,
as a Board, do have to pick our battles and there are lots out there in
terms of breaking down barriers and making our community stronger and so
forth. So, we'd be hard pressed at this time to make this an issue.
That's not to say, on my part, that I am minimizing your situation. I
do feel for you.

This is, however, an opportunity to build on the strength of community.
We can't always rely on Novell to take up the cause on every issue and
user type. You should reach out to the community, via IRC, Mailing
Lists, Forums, etc. and find out who else is out there with a need for
PPC. Get united. With combined resources, you might be able to
prolong the life of PPC support via community.

--
Bryen Yunashko
openSUSE Board Member