[opensuse-project] Re: Draft of Desktop Policy
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:27:07 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 16:40:26 +0100, Matt Gray wrote:

Although i am just a user, I believe i have just agreed to everything
you suggested and more, and to be honest i haven't seen anyone asking
for Gnome to be removed as an obvious 'choice' in desktop selection.

If a preselected default is selected, i believe the following would be
sensible:

[x] KDE (officially supported)
[_] Gnome (officially supported)
[_] Other (other available DE's)

i think this meets your requirements?

Yes, it does - that is in fact the suggestion that I made a few days ago,
provided that there were assurances that GNOME wouldn't be removed as an
obvious choice (I like that wording, BTW, not what I used, but much more
succinct).

As I explained to Dean (I think it was) a couple e-mails ago, the logic
being used to push the "KDE Default" idea could be applied to stripping
GNOME from the distro (and various intermediary steps leading up to
that), so I feel it's reasonable to have assurances that the logic won't
be used that way. As long as those assurances are in place, I'm fine
with it.

Caveat: I speak only for myself, I'm not an official voice of the GNOME
community by any stretch. :-)

And there's no "just a user" - I also am "just a user" in that I don't do
any development work on the distro. User input is extremely important,
and it's good that all users are at least represented.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson