Re: [opensuse-project] What you vote, and what you DON'T vote on - openFATE feature 306967, KDE default
  • From: Michael Loeffler <michl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 13:27:58 +0200
Moin,
On Friday 07 August 2009 10:50:40 Michael Meeks wrote:
Hi Michael,

On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 00:03 +0200, Michael Loeffler wrote:
a) the openSUSE Board as of the Guiding Principles [1] is not supposed
to make decisions but recommendations:

Wow; really ? so when it says "The board should document decisions and
policies." - it basically has a secretarial role of writing down the
decisions made by others ? :-) is there any kind of decision it can
make ?
No, there isn't.
The Guiding Principles were shaped around 2 years ago with the community and
agreed on. We believe in the existing open source development processes and
the corresponding decision making processes. And the previous years have shown
that this worked out pretty well. Most decisions are made by upstream
projects, by teams and maintainers working in the openSUSE project.

* Act as a central point of contact
* Help resolve conflicts
* Communicate community interests to Novell

A large part of this debate is framed in terms of "what the community
wants", "obeying the will of the community, as expressed in openFATE"
and so on :-) As such, it would be interesting to hear the board's
recommendation on this topic.

Anyhow - I'm glad you're committed to talking to the board before
making your decision - and I look forward to closure on this topic.
Personally, I (and perhaps you?) would feel far happier if the board
were collectively responsible for such charged decisions - and find it
hard to believe we created a 'board' with no executive authority ? :-)
The current discussion about a radio button is the first for years now which
obviously splits two groups and might need a decision by a superior body.
Therefor we'll use the openSUSE conference to define if such body is needed
and if yes how to form it.

Best
Michael

Regards,