Re: [opensuse-project] Coming up with a good Policy ...
  • From: Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 14:42:24 +0200
On Thursday 06 of August 2009, Charles Kerr wrote:
On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 5:25 AM, Lubos Lunak<l.lunak@xxxxxxx>

You can tell other GNOME contributors "openSUSE preselects
the most popular option, sorry" and be honest about it, and
then it is up to (plural) you to either say "world is cruel, let's
be depressed and weep" or "well, then we need to do
something about being even more popular".

Or possibly, "Hm, I wonder how Karmic is shaping up. Good
luck with growing the user-base, guys."

Or, whatever. But they are not the only ones who can say something like that,
right?

 But what am I to tell KDE contributors, current or potentionl?
I could try with "openSUSE values options the same, that's
why KDE and GNOME are given as completely equal choices",
but then how many are going to believe me when it can be
seen that no other options are handled the same?

You keep using this framing device. I'm very interested in
which other popular-competitors-in-a-component-used-by-
nearly-all-users-and-whose-choice-affects-dozens-of-
interconnected-applications "other options" you have in mind.

Web browser. It matches the description pretty well after realizing that all
the web-based stuff is applications too. And it must be like a month ago when
we had a nice flamewar about this in KDE, for example. Also, it doesn't
depend on the desktop (it's Firefox everywhere for 11.2 AFAIK), and for many
users it is probably more important than the desktop itself.

If you can cite of another such component that's preselected,
I will gladly concede everything you've said.

Ok.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer