Re: [opensuse-project] Coming up with a good Policy ...
  • From: Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 11:57:56 +0200
On Thursday 06 of August 2009, Vincent Untz wrote:
Le jeudi 06 août 2009, à 10:03 +0200, Lubos Lunak a écrit :
Please choose what do you want to do with the following items:

- Apple:
[x] eat it
[ ] look at it
[ ] throw it away

- Trousers
[x] wear it
[ ] wash it
[ ] iron it

- Car
[ ] sell it
[ ] drive it
[ ] repair it

Is it really that hard to see that the last one is different? Is that
really that hard to see that some people, since it is different from the
other choices, might see it for example as an advertisement for a car
reseller company?

There might be a cultural side of things here, or maybe something
related to personal taste... My first reaction was "why aren't your
items in an alphabetical order?".

Because I sorted them by preference, by what is most likely to be the choice.
It seemed natural to me that way.

Just trying to understand why some people disagree on this very specific
topic.

The sort order doesn't really matter. Sort the list any way you want, it
doesn't change anything about the fact that "drive it" is disfavoured as long
as it is not handled the same way like "eat it" and "wear it".

I believe this is better explained in
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-project/2009-08/msg00283.html . I would
prefer it if you tried to find a mistake in the description of the actual
problem rather than this analogy.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer