Re: [opensuse-project] Draft of Desktop Policy
  • From: "Richard (MQ)" <osl2008@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 07:56:40 +0100
Clayton wrote:
I've been reading the two threads on this and I have been wondering..
is there anything inherently _wrong_ with how things were presented in
openSUSE 11.1?

I completely agree with this. Keep it as it is please!

The only change I would make would be to change from
radio buttons to check boxes so that people could select more than one
DE on install (convenience factor for people like me that like to
tinker).

As one of the elusive XFCE4 users I often install KDE and gnome
applications too for use 'when needed' (yes, I know that actually using
them loads the myriad libraries etc. and slows things to a crawl on
older hardware. That's why only 'when needed'). This is easy enough in
the pattern menu though, and would serve to confuse newbies.

Catering to the mindless click next 5 times and it's installed
mentality.. well give those people the KDE or Gnome Live CDs.

I don't think we should - indeed the live CDs are probably right up
their street. Then they can complain that OpenSuSE doesn't offer some
proprietary package that their MS box has (as a pirated install) and go
right back to that OS.

Problem solved? Or no? Have I missed something?

I think the whole issue is making a mountain out of a molehill.
--
Cheers
Richard (MQ)