Re: [opensuse-project] Draft of Desktop Policy
  • From: "Joe Harmon" <jharmon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 11:02:40 -0600
On 8/5/2009 at 10:12 AM, Kay Schenk <kschenk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I understand that, but I beg to disagree. Try to remember a time when
you were a new user, and ahd to make this kind of decision. Yes, it does
take "guts" to switch to Linux, but I think you need to understand, that
even people with "guts" need help and hand holding on these kinds of
issues. I switched to SuSE in 2001, ver 7.1. I knew NOTHING about either
KDE or Gnome at the time. I had to do a LOT of investigation on my own
to figure all this out. What has been suggested if I'm reading all this
correctly is to simply check a DE button for the installer, presumable
KDE. Ok, if you are not willing to do that, I think you will need to
provide some help icons for both. I don't think either approach is
necessarily "bad", but I think you are really misreading your potential
market of new users, who, by the way, are not ALL computer geeks.

Having supported openSUSE and SLED for many years I do think I understand the
new users very well. I am not saying that they will know what gnome and kde
are. I am not saying that simplifying the install is a bad thing. What I am
saying it that by preselecting gnome or kde is not really giving them choice.
If we really want the desktops to be equal then we shouldn't preselect for the
very fact that our new users do NOT know what they want as far as KDE and GNOME
are concerned. If KDE is preselected they will probably use and become familiar
with KDE, but what if they would have liked GNOME better. Or vice versa. I have
used both and found that I prefer one over the other. It really has nothing to
do with the technology below but more to do with personal preference. Making a
preselection shows a preference

I really think for new users, no doubt coming over from Windows, less is
definitely more.

I think helping them understand what they are choosing is a really good thing.
But making a preselection when they two desktops are "supposed" to be equal is
not making them equal. The only thing I am arguing is that preselection is not
the proper solution to simplifying the install when two desktops are supposed
to be equal.

Joe